Monday, December 04, 2006

when the sun shines out your bum

It’s a beautiful day here today. The crispness of winter has taken over the Thames and the bare trees depict a scene of tranquility rather than the usual gloom of a long, cold season.
This weekend was good. I’m sitting at my desk feeling refreshed and not thanks to ample sleep – quite the contrary, in fact. Amongst the buzz of activity, in the lead-up to Christmas, I find myself feeling open to the prospects of a New Year.
There is so much hope in a sunny day. Something about the sunshine makes it much harder to be down. You really come to appreciate those days here.
I’m reminded of a greeting card I once gave/received (I forget now!) that had a little glow-worm on the front and said:
‘I wish I was a glow-worm,
Glow-worms are never glum.
How can you be sad,
When the sun shines out your bum?’

I leave you with that light-hearted thought to ponder as I sit here and resist the urge, once again, to stress about Christmas presents. The year goes so quickly that this anxiety feels all too familiar; it wasn’t so long ago that I was writing about this same present dilemma. I keep telling myself that it’s not about the gifts but I can’t help but get sucked in by the pressures of the season surrounding me. This would never happen to a glow-worm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home