Thursday, February 23, 2006

fallen for the boys

It has been a while since an album has jumped straight to my personal choice #1 after just 2 days on repeat in my discman (old-skool, I know). Fall out Boy’s, From Under the Cork Tree, is a jumble of backward lyrics (“…drop a heart, break a name”), buoyant rock and stirring melodies. According to the bands own website “Their music contains elements of punk and pop, but they aren’t pop-punk.” Thanks guys. As lead singer of a not-quite-pop-punk-rock band, Patrick Stump’s voice is beautifully smooth. I think I was sold at first glance of track #1 which is entitled “Our Lawyer Made Us Change The Name Of This Song So We Wouldn't Get Sued”. Classic.
The last album to provoke in me such an urgent longing to bounce along the train platform was Pushing the Senses by Feeder (not to be confused with “Feeler”, thank you Ian).
Credit where it's due - it must be mentioned that Bron was the one who first introduced me to the band (not the first good introduction she has provided).
I have this nasty habit of playing a new album continuously until I can confidently sing along to each song. I just love that feeling of knowing your favourite track is up next. When I start to get too familiar, I hit the random button, just to spice things up a bit. If, after approximately 100 loops, rather than wanting to hide the CD in a box labeled ‘Do not listen for at least 2 years’, I love the album more than when I started, it has earned its place as a favourite. Perhaps not the most specialized way to evaluate a record but it works for me.
However, when really good ones like this come along, there is no need for the test. Sometimes you just know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home