Tuesday, July 17, 2012

emsworth - historic town of values

I'm sitting in the car with the windows down. While the breeze causes mild havoc with my newly acquired 'Curly Sue' hairdo I am distracted by the sound of passers-by crunching along the pebble beach. The ocean is glistening beneath a clear sky and I am embracing every moment of the first sunny day in weeks. The dog is fast asleep on the backseat after a long walk along the sea front, complete with some token seagull-chasing.

In order to better endure my husband working away from home, I am trying to accompany him when I can. This week we are staying in a B&B in Emsworth, Hampshire. These days I tend to judge every village I visit by whether or not I could live there. I am inclined to think this is reflective of my 'small town' upbringing and the longing for a quiet life, surrounded by lots of dogs and attending weekly sewing meetings or bookclub. I was born to be a granny. While my experience of many villages is that the residents can be a bit cliquey or aloof toward strangers, I have been pleasantly surprised by the welcoming nature of the Emsworth community.

One of the many disadvantages that arise as a result of a dog that suffers from acute separation-anxiety, is that dinners while away from home are limited to dog-friendly pubs. The Coal Exchange in Emsworth was recommended to us and on arrival it is pretty clear that this is the village local...and has been for a long time. I had forgotten that English pubs such as this one still exist; low ceilings, slot machines, people all know each others' names and if you ask for a receipt you get a handwritten one from a receipt book. Yet, rather than stare us down for being strangers who hail from the 'big smoke', the locals were friendly and warm. Fox also remarked on the evident respect that seems to exist between young an old; a trait so long gone in the bigger cities. This morning, as I strolled along the promenade, I lost count of how many times people said 'good morning' to me. So lost in my habitual solitude I was rather taken aback the first few times I was greeted. Even the postman appeared to enjoy his job...which makes a nice change from our grump who prefers to throw letters at residents rather than post them through the slot in the door.

So, while the sun shines down I am embracing a bit of the quiet life, breathing in the sea air and feeling encouraged that there are still places where common courtesy prevails.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home