Tuesday, January 04, 2011

stop this train?

Every New Year I write about my total aversion to the whole notion of resolutions. This year I will leave it there and allow the aforementioned to represent my distaste toward this self-defeating practice.
The start of January does, however, afford the opportunity to reflect on the year gone by. My theory is that Earth is spinning faster every year. I know there is a scientific flaw in my argument but the alternative, that I am simply letting life run away with me, is far less satisfactory. A number of my elderly relatives have relayed the same message: the years only go faster as you get older. I have to agree that the last few years seem to blend into each other with little distinction, other than the obvious milestones such as new jobs, studies and, of course, marriage.
There are times when I wish I could just press pause. As John Mayer puts it (more than five years of blogging and this is the first time I have quoted him?),”Stop this train, I want to get off and go home again”. So why do I feel like life keeps speeding along without giving me a chance to catch up? Perhaps I feel like I might have been more, done more, achieved more by this stage. And I don’t think this is negative. I feel it’s important to have a sense of dissatisfaction in order to keep moving forward, to continue reaching for what may seem unattainable but really just takes some determination. I think trying to exploit each moment for what it’s worth is too much pressure but cherishing the potential of a lifetime can go a long way.
So, while the world keeps turning and I continue to work it all out, I propose a New Years toast to making it count.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home