Friday, October 01, 2010

blank canvas before me

I’ve shut down my computer one last time, packed my few personal belongings into a Tesco bag, hugged my colleagues, some of whom have become dear friends, farewell and let myself out of the building with a sense of finality. It’s the end of three years of hard work, much banter and laughs and a job that I genuinely loved (most days, like any other). I’m not even entirely sure why, but I know this is right. For months I have felt a restlessness that I need to start making space in my life, rather than simply trying to cram in as much as possible while still finding just enough time to eat and sleep.
Having bucked the trend and skipped university to dive headfirst into adulthood I’ve often felt like I missed out on a stage of life. Instead, I thrived on my freedom and by the time I thought I really should further my studies I knew I wanted my independence more. One year led to nine and here I am, years later, deciding it is time to further my education. Thankfully I have a wonderfully supportive husband who is happy to be adult enough for both of us while his “student wife” obtains her degree and bakes delicious treats when she is procrastinating.
As excited as I am, there is a part of me that naturally wonders who I am without a full-time job and the ensuing responsibility of being paid to use my time constructively. I guess I’m about to find out.
While I am allowing myself a dose of sentimentality, I am also giddy at the thought that before me is a blank canvas and between the Great Commissioner and I, I think something really beautiful could be created.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home