Wednesday, June 16, 2010

widespread epidemic of world cup fever

The international community is currently united by a widespread outbreak of World Cup fever. Controversially, I don’t even like football. I say ‘controversially’ because now is obviously not the best time to put that out there. However, I find myself currently absorbed by the match between South Africa and Uruguay. The sound of vuvuzelas leaves no room for silent anticipation – instead the excitement is kept at a constant, mosquito-like, audible level. Over the last few days I have entered into heated debates about the noise that these instruments produce and have opposed their potential ban as passionately as Desmond Tutu who emphasises ‘When in Africa…!’ I have choked back tears during reports on National Youth Day which marks a dark, yet momentous, day in the history of the country. Those same tears can no longer be denied during the national anthem as the swell of pride lights up the players’ faces. I’m clearly nostalgic, having just drowned my quiche in Spur pink sauce. Any self-respecting South African reserves such a prized condiment for chips alone but today I just need a little taste of South Africa.
I genuinely do not understand how ninety minutes of twenty-two men kicking a ball backward and forward can enthral so many millions across the globe but I do know what a win will do for the country tonight. For the thousands, if not millions, of people watching the matches in make-shift cinemas and viewing rooms, to comfortable living rooms and the handful in the stadium itself, a win has the power to unite a nation that spends so much of its time talking about its differences. We saw it happen at the Rugby World Cup final in 1995 and the same nervous exhilaration is evident in the air tonight.
The whistle has just blown at halftime and SA are 0-1 down and the anxiety is building. As much as I find myself trying to act disinterested, I just can’t help myself…come on Bafana Bafana!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home