Thursday, February 04, 2010

musical escape

Maybe it’s just me but do certain songs ever make you feel like you’re in a movie? I’ll be listening to some stirring tune such as Let Go by Frou Frou and suddenly I’m picturing myself being filmed on a train, staring out the window, my expression speaking a thousand words. Then there’s Snow Patrol’s Chocolate that transports me to New York where I’m a high-flying magazine editor, wearing the latest designer fashions and drinking a latte as I stride along the side-walk towards work.
At this point I really hope someone is reading this and agreeing with me otherwise I’m just admitting that I’m a bit of a weirdo.
Music really has the ability to arouse emotion. Like this morning on the bus when the boys on the back seat had the courtesy to share their gangster rap with everyone else on the bus. My emotion = anger. So, to counteract this negativity bubbling into what could potentially have become bus-rage, I shoved my earphones in and pumped up One Republic. It was as if the world disappeared and “all I needed was the air I breathe” = restoration of peace and calm. This city can really get to me with it’s unreliable public transport, delinquent youths and less than desirable weather. However, I’ve found that I can just shut the world off by hitting shuffle on the iPod and I have some of my favourite tunes to reinstate my sanity. So perhaps I’m a bit odd and my methods of distraction are unconventional but as I approach my five year anniversary of my time in this big city, sometimes I just have to do what I have to do to remind me that there is always a bit of good to be found.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Ken David said...

I actually note scenes in real life and place them to movies...
For instance, the guy on the bus/train with music blasting annoying all else in ear shot:
Scan to "Spock from Star Trek 4" putting the vice grip hold on his shoulder and knocking him out.

(but that's just me)

1:42 PM  
Blogger Queeny said...

HA! I agree with you . I feel the same way. Sometimes when I am going out for the day or just walking to class sometimes I feel like my day can't start right unless i get into my 'zone'. Its so distracting with people chatting , rushing , babies crying and me in the middle of it trying to get my life started. LOL. I do the same thing , is rush to my earphones to regain my sanity. Once those ear phones are placed into my ear i quickly regain my cool and start to be me. I am dragged into my own world where things go my way .
No, i don't your a werido because i feel like my music takes me to another level of emotions and attitude. Like feeling I am in a movie. lol

7:29 AM  
Blogger what we do in this life echoes in eternity said...

PHEW! Good to know I'm not alone. Also, pleased to see that someone else other than my husband reads my ramblings too!

5:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home