Monday, March 23, 2009

the worlds most expensive tie backs, chocolate-orange brownies and other joys of domesticity

Oh, how I've missed blogging! The last time I posted anything I had a different name, I still ticked 'single' on all official documentation and my flatmate was female. My, how things have changed.
I'm rather sad that the mayhem of the last 6 months means that an entire chapter of my life has gone un-blogged so to get you up to speed, the following is a brief summary of all that has transpired...

Engaged in Venice. Planned a wedding. Wished that we'd eloped. Family descended. Spent a week tying bows, moving home and hyperventilating from stress. Walked down the aisle to Gustav Holst's, Jupiter. Was worried that people would connect it to the theme song of the Rugby World Cup and throw a ball at me. Had the best day ever. Honeymooned in the Maldives and then in a cottage in the Cotswolds. Bliss. Moved into our new flat. Unpacked boxes and decorated. Flat became a home. Flew to South Africa for a post-wedding catch up. Came back and needed a holiday. Have spent the last four months learning to live with a guy and doing 'wifely' things.

...and that's it in a nutshell really. Of course, it has been an amusing learning curve.

After our trip to South Africa Fox spent a couple of weeks fixing up our little flat so I felt I needed to contribute accordingly. Looking around our home, I decided that what we needed was lime green tie backs, for our lounge curtains, to match our funky green sofa. It turns out that tie backs aren't quite as simple to make as they look. After tracking down buckram(What is this you ask? Exactly!), finding the right green thread to match the fabric, acquiring a roll of graph paper, lining etc etc and finding time to sit down and actually make the things, two months later and with approximately 10 till receipts from various outlets, the tie backs were complete. A more experienced wife would have had the sense to just go out and buy some. I, however, filled with naive domestic enthusiasm, was desperate to use my new sewing machine and show off my flair for needlework. I must say, they are beautiful and for the rest of our lives and in each home, I will make sure that they have pride of place somewhere in our abode. I mean, green is basically neutral, right?

Last weekend, eager to continue my baking streak (oh the delicious creations - and flops - that have come out of our kitchenette of late), I put my hand to making brownies. Following what claimed to be a flop-proof recipe I set about beating, fluffing, mixing and producing the most delectable mixture you have ever seen. As the chocolate flowed like velvet from the bowl to the baking tin I envisioned the masterpiece that was to be. After 30 minutes at 180°c I pulled from the oven a tray of scrumptious, irresistible looking brownies. Much to Fox's delight, he got to do the initial taste test. He 'oo-ed' and 'aah-ed' appropriately and then confirmed that he could definitely taste the hint of orange flavouring. Orange?! But I had made plain chocolate brownies so why on earth could he taste orange? It turns out that I had unintentionally bought orange flavoured chocolate, rather than plain. Fox had noticed but didn't comment as he suspected I had all intentions of making jaffa brownies! Despite this rather 'un-Betty Crocker' like moment, I think I might be onto something. Perhaps I'll try mint or even coffee next time.

So, despite my hair smelling like cookies a lot lately and our washing basket that is akin to Mary Poppins' handbag, this new season is fun and exciting and I look forward to the faux pas' that keep things interesting. Life is good. And living with a guy isn't so bad either.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home