Tuesday, March 31, 2009

where in the world


I never thought that having the world as your oyster could actually become a bit of a headache. Fox and I have planned to take a short break in April but finding a destination has been surprisingly difficult. We want sun but we don’t want to have to fly half a day to find it; we want a decent hotel but without the crowds; we would quite like a nice white, sandy beach; we don’t want to spend half a year’s salary; we would like to experience a different culture; it would be advantageous to go somewhere with a bit of sightseeing potential. Is this an impossible list? Are we asking too much?
I think I know the root of the problem. You see, Fox made a novice mistake when planning our (somewhat extravagant) honeymoon in the Maldives. You simply can not treat a lady to 5 star luxury, in one of the most serene settings on earth and then expect her to have the same expectations as she did prior to marriage. I used to be okay with the odd night in a hostel. It was never quite my thing but I tolerated it. Now, however, the thought of bedbugs and clogged drains in communal showers makes my stomach churn. It's like biting into a luscious 70 percent cocoa Godiva truffle; Cadbury’s Kitkat quickly loses its appeal.
For Fox, the attraction to ‘roughing it’ lies in the chance of an unexpected adventure but as we browse through pictures of resorts with palatial foyers, jetty’s enticingly lit by night, bubbling jacuzzi’s and poolside restaurants offering succulent tropical fruits, I get the feeling that he too finds it difficult to get excited by the thought of Brodie’s Hostel. Our goal for this year is to see as much of the world as we can within the restrictions of annual leave and limited long weekends. This means that extravagant luxury is simply not sensible and to be honest, I’m sure the novelty would soon wear off.
So, I am now going back to look for a holiday wearing my ‘Kitkat’ goggles in the hope that the world will become accessible once again. Because Godiva is delicious but surely it wouldn’t be quite as tempting if that was all I ate.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home