Thursday, March 26, 2009

wax attack

Any honest woman will tell you that it requires a certain amount of effort to remain suitably maintained and often this entails tolerating some procedure that inflicts a degree of pain. Quite frankly, I have been de-fluffing for so many years that it no longer worries me when I know that a visit to the beautician or an appointment with my epilator is becoming evidently necessary.
Last week, on noticing that my eyebrows were starting to take over my face, I popped in at my regular salon for a bit of the aforementioned ‘maintenance’. Many will know that an eyebrow wax is not complicated and this simple procedure is usually over in approximately ten minutes. On arrival I was assigned to my cubical and met by a different beautician than usual which, at the time, didn’t worry me. It should have.
Half an hour later, after the most meticulous eyebrow pruning session I have ever endured, I was left with the most perfectly shaped, trimmed and plucked brows…and what can only be described as a carpet burn on my right eyelid. This attack on my eye involved medicated/tinted moisturiser, a cotton wool pad and highly sensitive skin. The brutality of the burn only surfaced two days later when I was left with a scab which annoyingly detracted from my newly shaped brows rendering the whole experience totally pointless.
Mom asked if I would sue (she was merely being supportive, not serious) but the beautician had been so lovely that I didn’t even have the heart to return to the salon and claim my money back. These things happen and it’s just part-and-parcel of being female.
While grumbling to Fox that the necessity of female hairlessness has been imposed by society and after such an incident I feel the need to rise up against the norm, he helpfully advised, “No, no, you should definitely listen to society” and then chuckled to himself. Such loyalty. Wait until he next encounters me armed with my epilator in one hand and a wax strip in the other. I suspect ‘society’ and I will be the ones laughing then.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home