Friday, July 20, 2007

when harry met sally

I realised today that I really have neglected my blog over the last few weeks. Between wrapping up at O&L, trying to find a simple pair of black shoes and compiling an entire website for a friend, I have found myself barely scrapping together enough time to eat and sleep.
I can’t believe that I will be cleaning out my desk drawers and bidding farewell to the fabric industry in one week. It has taken its time in getting here but the end is nigh and that silver lining glows brighter with each passing day.
Finding black shoes – I don’t want to talk about it. How hard can it be in a city this size? Very.
The website went live today and was good experience but, after a succession of late nights, I’m feeling somewhat bleary eyed and ready for a weekend.
Anyway, now that we’ve re-connected I feel to move onto a matter far more trivial – the release of the final book in the Harry Potter series. I’m not an avid Potter fan but having recently watched the latest movie I feel a bit caught up in all the excitement.
People have been queuing for 3 days, according to the BBC, to be one of the first to get their sticky little “muggle” hands on a copy. While I paged through the sensationalists delight that is the London Lite paper, yesterday, my interest was sparked by an article based on this review. The New York Times ran a pre-release review which not only broke the terms of the publisher’s agreement regarding the book’s release date but also gave away significant detail about how the series ends. Does a good reviewer truly take satisfaction from ruining a book for millions of readers who can’t wait to escape to Hogwarts for one last time? Power-trip of note.
Apparently, Childline have requested extra volunteers for the next couple of weeks to cope with the expected influx of calls by youngsters who are psychologically affected by the end of the story. I think I’m going to write a response series called “Sally Porter – the Girl Who Cared about the Real Issues in the World” but I suspect I might not rival JK Rowling for the No.1 spot on the bestseller chart. Maybe I’ll just pretend I’m Sally Porter and leave it there.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home