Wednesday, July 11, 2007

not about me

As the days preceding my departure from O&L seem to drag out for, what feels like, years I find myself lying in bed in the mornings with a sense of dread at the thought of facing another day of monotony. Finding little meaning in my current situation I started reading “The Purpose Driven Life” again last night in an attempt to motivate myself through the next couple of weeks.
As my alarm sounded “Waaake me up…when September ends…” I felt no more inspired than previous mornings and after a 45min ‘snooze’ I scurried between bedroom and bathroom frantically trying to avoid a late login and the subsequent guilt that ensues.
My willingness to walk to work was overpowered by the wisdom that my legs are simply not long enough to get me there as quickly as I needed them to and I boarded a bus that, typically, required a driver change two stops later. Rather than wait, I jumped off and ran down the High St towards a bus for the 2nd leg of my journey (it really is far simpler to walk). Now in a total fluster, I breathlessly boarded a 485 for the short trip down Putney Bridge Rd and as I caught myself thinking that the world was out to get me I remembered today’s “Point to Ponder”: It’s not about me.
If it wasn’t about me then who was it about? I disembarked the bus and before I put my head down for my sprint to the office I turned to the bus driver and gave him a grateful wave and a half-smile. What happened next, catapulted me out of my melancholy. That bus driver’s smile beamed so wide that it instantly humbled me. There was someone who had been driving strangers around all morning, possibly not even realizing how much he yearned to be appreciated. His thankful smile altered my perspective and proved that true meaning is found in the impact, however small, our lives may have on others.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home