Monday, July 09, 2007

life on earth

Bleary eyed and unenthused by an early morning “trek”, 6 of us made our way to Wembley Park Stadium too early for a Saturday. Thanks to Steve’s urging we arrived an hour before the doors opened and as a result, found ourselves in the “pit” for the length of Live Earth - which meant we were VIPs for a day!
Okay, not exactly VIPs, but we were really close to the stage.
I woke up on Sunday feeling as though I had a hangover – despite avoiding alcohol altogether - but the dehydration and ringing in my ears was worth the numerous highlights of which there are just too many to mention.
After a leisurely breakfast along the Thames (in the sun!), Fox and I returned to his flat where I set myself up to scan the Sunday paper. Imagine my excitement when I opened to the second page and there, smiling among the Live Earth crowd, was Fox!
I know I was next to him, along with the others, but there are certain disadvantages to being 5ft2½.
As I continued paging through the Sunday Times, I came across this article that brought me to such despair that I could only finish reading it this morning. Maybe it’s because Africa is in my blood; maybe because I can’t turn a blind eye when I am aware of such need. I did a Google search to see what the world is doing about the crisis in Zimbabwe and was totally disillusioned by the lack of involvement. How can countries just stand back and watch an entire civilization starve to death when we all indulge in our excess? All of a sudden a concert to promote climate change seemed shallow when this immediate need is so much greater.
What will happen if no one takes a stand? We will watch as this beautiful African country, with its Falls so majestic, fades back into the red African dirt.
Africa is more than flaming sunsets and wild animals. It is a rugged land of people; real people who are suffering while the world continues to uphold everything that is superficial and meaningless.
I’m stirred.

"Now that I have seen I am responsible Faith without deeds is dead Now that I have held you In my own arms I cannot let go till you are... "
Brooke Fraser – Albertine

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home