Wednesday, May 16, 2007

kissing kangaroos and more

I’d be surprised if anyone actually reads this. Do I have any blogees left after such a long term of absence? On the off chance that someone might still be interested I will divulge my activities of late.
As Fox and I boarded flight QF0001 to Sydney, I acknowledged the sense of anticipation in myself that can only come from returning into familiar territory with a fresh sense of self. Having not seen my family for 2 years I didn’t object (much), despite disgusted sneers from fellow passengers, when Fox queue-jumped through Sydney Airport customs. We were greeted by film crews on arrival and just as I was about to reprimand my family for making such a fuss, we heard that Snoop Dog (or was it Puff Daddy?) was expected to arrive that morning too. As baby sister, Kirstin, flew into my arms, I held tightly onto her, as if that one hug could erase the separation that lay between us. She had grown so much. Behind her were Dad and Denise’s smiling faces and I felt numbed by the 24 hour flight and found myself disorientated by how glad I was to see them.
Fox and I spent the next 2 weeks bussing between Dad’s beachfront apartment (that’s the life!), Manly (for you Jo) and the city. Looking back it‘s all a blur of catch-ups with friends, a few dips in the ocean, good food and sleep. From Max Brenner and the Sheaf with Widge, Darling Harbour, the Bridge, Opera House, ferries, kissing kangaroos at the koala park, Hillsong with Den and Kirnie, Belgian Beer Café, Bondi…the list goes on; I fear I may have overwhelmed Fox with a myriad of activities but he still claims that he likes Sydney so I couldn’t have done too much long-term damage.
We took a day trip through the spectacular Blue Mountains to watch jockey-sister, Desi, race. What fun! Fox and I had a good time trying our hand at betting. At the risk of needing to call the ‘Is gambling a problem for you?’ helpline, we decided to leave it there (note to self: check Fox’s PC to make sure he hasn’t started delving into online betting). Des ‘cleaned-pipes’ (as Fox so eloquently puts it) in her race and I beamed as a proud sister should.
A stop-in at Circular Quay Starbucks for a quick catch-up with Sez and Briggs and dinner at Pancakes on the Rocks, with Dad and that was it. ‘See ya’ Sydney!
It seems that this trip came to an abrupt end sooner than most, exaggerated by leaving my beloved family once more to travel home, which happens to be as far as I could possibly go. But there was still Thailand and it wasn’t harsh reality just yet. London could wait.
Click here for pics.

2 Comments:

Blogger Brigitta Ryan said...

i am still reading!

so good to see you

love

8:41 PM  
Blogger Sare said...

Am also still reading, and it was very good to see you.
Take care of you..
xxo!

5:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home