Monday, May 21, 2007

how to turn a drab day fab

Second week back in London and all feels back to normal. It’s only Monday and I’m already bored at work; we’ve had about 2 hrs of sunshine since my return; my week has filled up quicker than a toilet cistern; I’m back to consuming approximately 2 chocolate bars a day. Aaah, all is right in the world.
Although I seem to have ended up in somewhat of a routine (gasp!), there are a number of changes looming just over the horizon. Unfortunately, none of them are public knowledge as of yet so you, my blogees, will just have to keep reading. Yes, a meager attempt at creating an air of suspense…
To London’s credit, I did have a wonderful weekend. Friday night, a few of us went to watch Goodbye Bafana – an interesting angle on the Nelson Mandela story. Joseph Fiennes rivals Leo DiCaprio in the “foreigner attempting to do a Safa accent quite well” stakes and I found myself cringing at the accuracy with which they portray life back in the homeland. We are an interesting bunch, hey, my bokkies? Out of the cinema and into Waxy O’Connors for a cheeky few where we ended up being asked to leave because it was closing time. SWEET! And Granny Tagg was still going strong.
Saturday I met up with, recently engaged blogee, Kirsty for a cuppa and a chat in the snooty, yet delightful Wimbledon Village. I then made my way to Zulu’s (ugh!) to watch the Super 14 final. What a match! Commiserations go out to Jo who was most deeply affected by the Sharks defeat. A lazy braai at Fox’s place in the evening, complete with steak and toasties, ended a typical South African day in London.
I managed to coax Fox into watching the end of “The Lakehouse” with me yesterday, by luring him with the offer of a tasty, cooked brekkie (and he wouldn’t even have to leave the couch). The good company was the only consolation for wasting an hour and a half watching Keanu Reeves and Sandra Bullock attempt to carry a film. Church in the evening, a quick dinner with “the gang” and yesterday was as restful as a Sunday should be.
Although today is pretty bleak, my grey day was brightened by a single, crimson, long-stemmed rose from my thoughtful boyfriend and I remembered that any place is as good as you make it. I really am trying to see all the good that this city has to offer. It’s just hard to acknowledge the sun for all the dreary rain clouds. But it hasn’t gone anywhere; it’s still shining as bright as ever, above the clouds, where only birds and airplanes can see it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home