Friday, May 18, 2007

good thai-m in bangkok

I’m going to attempt to write an account of our trip to Thaliand in 15 minutes. That’s how long I have left to sit before I escape to enjoy a weekend of catch-ups and London fun.
So, Aus-Land behind us, Fox and I jetted off to Bangkok and arrived in the country-sized sauna a little before midnight (I’m not sure which country’s time zone that was!). Our hotel was lush but on the doorstep was a city that is dirtier and poorer than most that I have experienced. Ian laughs at my inclination to want to adopt every stray (and the occasional non-stray) that crosses my path, so imagine my turmoil when everywhere I turned there was another mangy, hungry looking mutt. But it wasn’t long before the heat, pollution and the need to prevent ourselves from being scammed by locals tainted my compassion and I began to fade. Not even the magnificence of the Grand Palace and our friendly little tuk-tuk driver could elicit a smile – I needed something icy, cold and liquid. We found refuge in a local shopping centre (they are a different world to the one outside) and I don’t think a slushy has ever been so refreshing. Bliss in a glass.
Spending time with Christina, in her home town, was great and really interesting to interact on her turf. She took us to the market (bargain paradise!), a couple of tasty restaurants and as we enjoyed a ferry ride down the Chao Praya river I glanced over at her and believed her expression to be one of relaxed contentment at being home.
And after that it was time for us to head home too. Thailand is perhaps a little Far East for me.
More pics.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home