Wednesday, May 23, 2007

all set for a picnic

Summer is here. I know it was “official” about 2 months ago, but tell it to any Londoner and they’ll laugh outright. It seems the grey has opened up to allow the sun to warm the Capital and everyone is happy and smiling again.
I went and bought a picnic set at lunchtime today, in celebration. I really wanted the beautiful one at Huttons, in a wicker basket, complete with spotted crockery and pretty little napkins and a tablecloth. Unfortunately, the price was not as dainty as the goods and my sensible side (ie. a phone call to Fox) redirected me to Waitrose to purchase the set in a practical backpack, that doubles as a cooler box and is good for camping too.
I’m still that little girl having tea parties with her dolls, only now, instead of pretending to be an adult, I actually am one…most of the time.
So, tonight Fox and I are off to initiate the picnic set in Battersea Park. Of course, the napkins and tablecloth are merely for show and can not actually be used to wipe grubby mouths and hands. They may not be the little spotted ones but they’re blue-checked and cute all the same and are merely for showing off in the park. “Look everyone! We’re professional picnickers with a proper set and everything.” We’ll be the envy of all the other boys and girls…I mean, men and women.
Goodbye winter-blues, hello summer fun! Complete with goblets, chopping board, bottle opener and a detachable drinks cooler. A toast: to the many great picnics to come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home