Thursday, March 08, 2007

work simply sux

sigh… thumb-twiddle…have another cup of tea…pull hair out of head one strand at a time…
I have been so determined to have a productive week. I wrote a long list of things to do in my diary and have been crossing them off as I go. Yesterday, I ploughed through my mammoth list and had completed everything by 15:30. This morning I had completed everything by 09:30. Great!
It’s hard to be productive when you have nothing to which you can apply yourself. There are days when I feel like I am simply wasting away in front of my computer; facing my screen, watching my inbox and willing it to offer me communication from the outside world.
I received an email from a colleague who has been on a ‘sabbatical’ in Australia for the last 5 months and was due to come back next month. Today, he sent me an email saying that he has decided not to return and promptly emailed my boss with his letter of resignation. I was almost envious of his situation. For one, I probably wouldn’t have the guts just to say, “Sorry, I’ve decided to stay” if I knew how much the company had put themselves out to accommodate me. Secondly, if I don’t work, I don’t eat and I love my food.
However, sometimes I really wish that I could just throw it all in and live a life of spontaneity. I’d wake up each morning, lie in bed and rather than trying to decided what I’m going to wear (which is what I do at the moment) I’d contemplate my day’s activities. Of course, I’d have an endless supply of dosh so that wouldn’t be an issue at all. “Maybe, today, I’ll go and watch a matinee, or I’ll write another chapter of my book or I’ll hop onto a plane to Africa and spend a couple of weeks helping out at Watoto. Or maybe I’ll just lie here and read the paper (delivered to my door) and drink a cup of cha.”
The opportunities are endless and the potential of such a life is so appealing I’m considering popping out to the shop across the road to buy a lotto ticket. Can you imagine? I’d never have to look at SAP again, or argue with a supplier about overdue deliveries or see the miserable faces of colleagues who wish that they too didn’t have to be here. I guess I just have my days. I wouldn’t say I have much affection for this place but it’s tolerable. Just not today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home