Thursday, March 15, 2007

scary face causes squirrel to scurry

I ate my lunch in the park today. I couldn’t resist the lure of sunshine so I ordered my sandwich from Iris (our dinner lady) and parked myself on a bench overlooking the beautiful, blossoming flower-beds. As I admired the array of colours so typical of this time of year and ploughed into my ham/cheese/tomato (on whole-wheat) I considered all the potential this summer holds. My daydream abruptly gave way to reality as I looked down to find that, meanwhile, half my sandwich had fallen onto my lap and I spent the next few minutes picking pieces of grated cheese off my lovely jersey dress. Darn it all!
I sat reading my book and pretending to ignore the construction workers, sitting opposite me, eating their lunch and calling out various remarks to try and obtain my attention. I remained steely and they eventually gave up and continued to ‘humfph’ and ‘grumfph’ amongst themselves. I was distracted, only, by a scuffle in the bush behind me which I assumed to be a squirrel and turned to give it an indignant glance. It must have taken the hint because the noise stopped immediately and I continued where I had left off. Poor squirrel, there are probably little squirrel droppings left behind in terror as it fled for its life, away from my ‘scary face’. “That’s right buddy! And you can tell your friends not to disturb my reading time either!”
Now back at my desk, I feel I’ve acquired enough Vitamin-D to carry me to 5pm when I will head home to enjoy Stir-fry-a-la-Jo and an evening of chit-chat. And maybe I’ll be nicer to the squirrel tomorrow.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home