Tuesday, March 06, 2007

from buda to pest and back

At the risk of being cyber-stoned I thought it timely to update you on my weekend away in Budapest. I flew out to Hungary, on Friday, to meet my man who is currently working in the Eastern European capital. My first impressions of the castle district, where we were staying, literally took my breathe away. The grand walls stand high and proud as you enter the boom which only allows access to residents, guests and buses. As I was chaffeured up to the hotel, I was greeted by Fox and the perfected, classy lights of the Hilton.
A cheery greeting from the porter and we set off for a nice dinner and returned at a respectable hour to prepare us for the sight-seeing the following day.
I will spare you the lengthy details but, we did A LOT of walking on Saturday. We trekked both sides of the Danube, from Buda to Pest and back and as Fox and I scanned the city from the top of Castle Hill, on our return, we congratulated ourselves for conquering such vast distances with enough energy left to tell the tale. Saturday night dinner was at a novel little pub called "For Sale" and the size of the food portions will forever torment me as I recall being utterly defeated by a plate of pasta and veal. I was hurting.
Sunday, we ticked off the last of the items on our "to see" list and ended the weekend with Chinese take-out (delivered to the hotel room door) and a night-cap at a favourite local cafe, Miro.
I love discovering new cities and especially ones with such diverse history and even better to have such a wonderful, like-minded travel partner.
On my return to London, lugging my bag up Putney Hill (thanks to a broken down truck) I was stopped by a guy driving a van who asked for directions. I instructed him exactly which turn-offs to take and to follow the signs from there. Aah, what a sense of familiarity...a welcome feeling of home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home