Tuesday, January 02, 2007

away from home for christmas

As my flight to South Africa descended into Cape Town airport, the pilot wished visitors a pleasant stay and welcomed those returning home. That was me and tears pricked my eyes as I viewed the surrounding mountains and realisation hit that I was back after, what now felt like a very long, 4 years.
My short stay in Cape Town was a blur of activity as Ian shared as much his world with me as he could possibly fit into 3 days. Having met in London, there was a large part of both our lives which, until then, had been a bit of a gap. Meeting his friends and seeing his world was wonderful and only confirmed all the good things I already knew about my amazing boyfriend.
On arrival at PE airport I fought back the tears (again) as I walked into the airport to find the arrivals terminal completely different to the one I had known my whole life. There were now big glass windows between arrivals and baggage claim which meant there was no instant reunion with the family I had not seen or so many years. When we finally spotted each other I stopped fighting it and gave in to the rush of emotion that only a sense of comforting familiarity can bring.
I think I cried at least once a day, everyday, for the 10 days that I was there - it was good crying. I was happy to see my Grandparents, who have always been my stability regardless of what’s going on in my life. Being in a place that I know so well and seeing that, despite expansive development, it is still the PE I always knew, was comforting beyond words. Catching up with old friends (Lauren and Mands, special mention to you, my faithful blog readers!) was great and it never ceases to amaze me how you can so easily just pick up where you left off. I have since delighted in telling everyone back here in London that I ate my Christmas lunch with my feet in the pool. Aah, what bliss a bit of sunshine can provide. When Ian drove down to spend my last 2 days with me I was finished crying from happiness to be there and had begun my mourning at having to leave. Thank goodness he has big shoulders. Naturally, my Grandparents took great delight in having someone to whom they could reveal my nude baby pictures. Those gaps where we knew little about from where we both had come were now very small.
A beautiful trip along the picturesque Garden Route and a night in the Wilderness with Dom and Rory and it was time to return to London. After 2 weeks in a place that was home for 18 years of my life, I could no longer deny that it really isn’t that anymore. It is the place where I grew up and tugs at my heart whenever I return but to call it home would be too close to a lie. As I heaved my luggage onto the tube and pulled my newly purchased Billabong beanie onto my head, I smiled at the feeling that only London can rouse in me. After 2 weeks holiday, I was home.

(Tina Turner eat your heart out!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home