Monday, January 08, 2007

stopping to read the map

I’ve been sitting here for a significant amount of time trying to think of something to write about but I’m struggling. Today my thoughts are consumed with all things uncreative; life, responsibility, priorities and a number of other adult-like thoughts. I’ve heard many times that I am part of a generation that just doesn’t want to grow up. If this is true, I was born at the wrong time because I feel so grown up. Maybe it’s the monotony of 9-5 or the numerous engagements and weddings taking place around me or more outgoings from my bank account than my incomings can keep up with!
At 18 I had a picture of what my life would become. When I hit 20 and things hadn’t worked out how I had planned, at all, I painted over my original portrait with oils and smiled at the life I had chosen for myself. Now I’m about to turn 24 and I don’t know what happened to that original picture (it must have been lost during one of my relocations) and what I see is so very different to what I had planned.
Let me establish, at this point, that I am happy with where I am at. But I do hope for more. If we stop hoping we might as well give up now.
Usually my writing brings me to some sort of an emotional conclusion but I think I have to leave this one up in the air for today. Perhaps I’m just feeling a little restless. It always passes but I don’t think there is any harm in questioning, from time to time, if you’re heading in the right direction. I think I am.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home