Monday, January 15, 2007

the pursuit of un-happyness

The Pursuit of Happyness. Deceived! That’s what I was. Completely and utterly DECEIVED! I have never felt more UN-happy after watching a movie. And that isn’t even an exaggeration. I literally cried for an hour afterwards. Someone just had to mention one of the scenes and I would feel my lip begin to quiver. All of my strength was not enough to stop the tears from spilling over onto my cheeks. At one point in the movie I turned to Ian and told him, “I don’t want to watch this horrible movie anymore,” and burst into tears accordingly. Anyone, on hearing the title, is inclined to think that it is a relatively upbeat movie; it has ‘funny-man’ Will Smith in it for goodness sake. From the opening scene, complete with an emotional, orchestral intro, I knew it would be a tear-jerker and feared that Bron and I may have erred in our Friday night, group-movie choice. The movie focuses on one man and his journey to success and I just could not understand how so many bad things could happen to one person. I started to think about all those people who are in his position right now and although his story is ultimately a ‘happy’ one, how many people’s stories aren’t? Okay, I have to stop writing this or I’m going to lose it again. If anything, let this be a warning to you. This movie is NOT happy.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home