Monday, December 11, 2006

finding warmth in the cold of christmas

It’s the time of year when I resist all urges to become intensely reflective…and fail miserably. I can’t help feeling sentimental, exaggerated only by gatherings such as carol services and Christmas parties. While most people appear to be completely oblivious as to why we are actually celebrating at all, I find myself appreciating the festivities as a time when I can show those around me how much they mean to me. I had to give up trying to find the perfect ‘nativity’ Christmas cards and settle for ones that merely shout the word ‘Christmas’, but I determined to make sure that the message inside conveyed appropriate blessings.
I haven’t felt such warmth as the feeling I experienced on Saturday while Ian sang it ‘to the Mountain’ and my brother’s falsetto resonated in my ear between him repetitively telling Mom to not sing so loudly. I sat in my church, happy to be surrounded by some of the people in the world who I cherish most dearly. On any given day I have family and friends spread over a number of continents but, for a few short hours, all of a sudden the world didn’t seem so big. I sat there thinking that therein lies the true meaning of this festive season.
I saw an old man walking around the grocery store last week and I wondered if he had anyone with whom to share the holidays and my heart lurched with a pang of compassion. Not just for him but for all the people who don’t have someone to be with this Christmas.
And as I type this I realise the error in my sentiments because the truth is that no-one will be alone this Christmas. If you are celebrating, you believe. And if you believe, you will realise that there is a God who loves you enough to send you his son and such a God would never abandon you. That’s love and that’s what this time of year is really about.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home