Tuesday, December 12, 2006

family feud fuelled by festivities

All too aware of my brother’s inability to be patient about anything, especially the opening of Christmas gifts, I was determined to sneak my presents past him, last night. Mom and I cunningly plotted to slip the gifts into her wardrobe, thus counteracting his devious attempts at present-peaking. Confident that I had calmly distracted Aaron enough not to rouse any suspicion on his part, we relaxed to enjoy a meal and enjoy some quality, family time.
Mid-way through the evening the aforementioned sibling began complaining about a sore on his arm and Mom, engrossed in her own gift wrapping, instructed him to fetch the medicine bag from her cupboard. A few seconds later, realisation dawned on her and a scene of chaos began to unfold. Mom jumped from her chair as if she had been electrocuted and started to chase after Aaron shouting all the way ‘No, no, wait, I’ll get it. I’LL GET IT!!!’
The panicked look on her face distracted me from my oblivion at the computer and I too began to run after Aaron in order to obstruct his path. Being both agile and competitive Aaron was now more determined than ever to be the first to retrieve the, what he thought to be, much valued medicine kit. Little did he know that we would use all our combined strength to stop him from opening that cupboard. All of us screaming at once, Aaron somehow managed to overpower both Mom and I and tear open the wardrobe door. There was a moments silence as we waited in anticipation of what was to ensue. But Aaron simply reached for the medicine bag, turned to give us a look of sheer bewilderment and stalked out of the room, leaving us to clutch our stomachs in convulsions of laughter at the fact that he hadn’t even registered the big reindeer bag overflowing with gifts. If there was ever any doubt in the poor kid’s mind, he is now surely convinced that his mother and sister are complete lunatics. All that fuss over a medicine bag. If only he knew.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home