Wednesday, October 18, 2006

hurry up and read

I hope you’re sitting down (If not, how do you work on the computer while you’re standing?!). I have been diagnosed with a rather serious condition, known as ‘hurry sickness’. Don’t start panicking; I’m going to be fine. It was a self diagnosis of a condition of which I was made aware by John Ortberg, author of The Life You’ve Always Wanted. We’re reading the book at pastorate and often the themes are merely just refreshers of stuff I already know, but last night’s talk (and chapter) really struck something in me.
So many of my conversations, blog entries etc are filled with “I’m so busy”, “I have too much on my plate”, “I wish there were more hours in the day” as if it is the world’s fault for inundating me with obligations. But the tell tale sign of who is really to blame can be found in the mere pace at which I walk. If the person ahead of me is not rushing at the same swift rate as me, I huff and stop at nothing to overtake and leave the straggler in the dust of my steps.
I’m rushing my life away.
I fill my time with so many tasks that each one gets nothing more than my minimum and excellence is lost in the attempt to be too many things at any given time.
Priorities, priorities, priorities. I’ve spent so long trying to do it all that I fear I have lost sight of which things are the ones that really count.
And once again I’m brought back to my knees in order to renew my perspective and in search of guidance. If you hear (or read about) me complaining please remind me that it is my choice and the world is not going to collapse in a state of chaos if Roxanne can’t save it in one day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home