Monday, September 04, 2006

the write stuff

I haven’t had much to blog recently and at the risk of losing my handful of dedicated readers I am hesitant to bore with details of yet another pleasant but, more than anything, relaxing weekend.
I know what you really want. You want dramatic stories with a twist of comedy. Perhaps a little tale to which you can relate; something that strikes a cord. Maybe you laugh out loud or hold back a tear or two and then my job here is done. At that point I will have elicited the effect that every writer pursues; writing something that people want to read.
I’m really struggling with my latest assignment. I have to establish my target readership and then explore the market and suggest to which publications I am going to attempt to submit story ideas. The only problem is that I don’t really want to write the type of stories that most magazines publish.
I guess that the heart of my struggle is my proud stand against most things our culture promotes. Not only does this put me on the back-foot from an awareness point of view but also limits my writing options. Is it possible to write an article that grips your average reader while still encouraging moral upstanding and pure ethics? The job at hand is tough – made tougher by an audience who has stopped seeking truth and instead has filled the gap with temporary pleasures and indulgent pick-me-ups. I may not change much of the world, but I’m certainly not going to let it change me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home