Thursday, September 21, 2006

light entertainment

I’m not someone who watches movies in order to escape the world for an hour and a half; I watch movies to appreciate a form of art that demands imagination and intellect from its creators and audience, alike.
But somehow, I have acquired a reputation for bad movie choices. This in mind, I was anxious to take Jo and Fox to a movie I knew little about. Finding delight in small mercies, however, I was beaming at the end of Little Miss Sunshine, which made me laugh out loud until my cheeks were wet from tears, squirm in my seat and at times want to throw something at the screen to silence haughty characters.
As a family of virtual eccentrics (and a mom who just tries to keep it all together) take to the road to enter their youngest in a ‘beauty pageant’ you are left contemplating how screwed up the world’s perception of beauty has become. With clever subtleties, realistic camera work and absurdly likeable individuals, this film is entertainment with substance and a feel good motive, represented by dramatic portrayals of self discovery.
I’m going to go out on a limb by saying that you will love it. A little bit arty, but not enough to make it ‘art house’ and largely unpredictable due to clever detail - this film is sure to brighten your day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home