Thursday, September 28, 2006

john is back (and a little bit jazzy)

Someone stop this train. I want to get out and go home.
My much anticipated John Mayer album, Continuum, arrived yesterday. I like John. I’ve always liked John. I’ve watched him blossom from a virtual nobody during his early days of minor TV interviews to this big superstar who is currently battling it out against JT in the US for No.1 spot on the charts.
As he accompanied me to work this morning, I intently listened as he sang about his reservations towards becoming an adult. In a distant sort of way, we’ve become adults together. Over the last 5 years John has kept a musical journal for the both of us. I know I sound all groupie-like, but it’s really not like that at all. It’s just comforting to know that a super-successful muso doesn’t have it any more together than I do. We both just want to love and be loved; run home to our parents when the world gets too much and responsibility weighs too heavy on us; have people understand that we’re not done becoming ourselves yet; and essentially, life is good.
His new sound is somewhat jazzy and initially I was hesitant, but after careful consideration I decided it’s okay because he’s just developing as a musician.
I’m going to see him in concert for the 4th time next month (I’m not a groupie, I’m not, really…). As he sings about city love, I’ll be there holding the hand of mine. And when he croons of the importance of friends I’ll smile as mine will be there right beside me. We’re not growing old John, we’re getting wiser and more secure. Maybe by the time your next album comes out we’ll have found ourselves and then what will you sing of? I wont anticipate, just patiently wait.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home