Thursday, August 31, 2006

just a bad day

I have been in an atrocious mood all day. My sympathies are with anyone who encountered my wrath today as most are likely to cry themselves to sleep.
It started with the issue of responsibilities during launch time and whether I should be handling certain aspects. After much debate it was decided that my workload should not be increased but I was left feeling a bit nose-out-of-joint that it had taken quite so much discussion to decide that my plate was full enough – do they not see how hard I work?!
Later a colleague asked me not to mention my approaching holiday as she had already taken hers and it was upsetting her to hear about it. I have not had a decent break in over 18 months while she has gone on about 3 week-long trips since I joined the team. Already a bit temperamental, I found this to be a dreadful injustice and hastily grabbed my coffee mug and huffed to the canteen where I took a voluntary time-out.
As my contempt for the world increased I began to ponder how my time seems to have become everyone else’s claim. This may seem selfish but I think it is just the result of too much activity and not enough rest. I seem to fight this urge to escape reality more often these days, as the expectation of social interaction weighs heavily on me.
Just to push me further, our delivery man made a special trip to my desk where he accused me of leaving boxes in his trolley – boxes which I had asked someone else to move yesterday. Clearly my request had fallen on deaf ears and today I was beyond the effort required to be polite. I subsequently turned to her and swallowed my fury to enquire why the boxes had not been moved but the fire in my eyes was too bright and she scurried off to the stationary cupboard before I could take the matter any further.
For the rest of the day I have sat at my desk willing the time to pass and considering how I am going to be perky enough to be pleasant company at a friend’s birthday tonight. At least I’ve come to realise that sometimes I’m human and I too, just have bad days. Unfortunately, petulance has no concept of bad timing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home