Tuesday, August 22, 2006

health check

A few weeks ago, concerned by my steady decline in emotional stability, my Nans sent me a variety of vitamins. Before I ingested today’s recommended dosage I marveled at the similarity between my Vitamin Bs and Smarties. They’re both round, similar in size and have that glossy outer-coating. The difference, of course, lies in what is found on the inside. Smarties look appealing and taste great but I know that once they’ve been digested I don’t feel any better for having them. In fact I’m probably feeling a tad guilty, my sugar levels are at war with the rest of my body and my ass gets that little bit wider. Vitamins, on the other hand, have a foul taste if you don’t happen to swallow in the time it takes for the outer shell to dissolve. But the long-term effects are far more beneficial than the momentary pleasure that a Smartie has to offer. They boost metabolism, give me healthy skin, enhance my immune system and combat depression and the effects of stress.
While this was not the most profound insight I’ve ever experienced, it did remind me to look beneath the surface, resist momentary pleasure if it means long-term regret and get back into the habit of focusing on those things that are good for me.
Basically, take your vitamins.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home