Thursday, August 03, 2006

enough already

It’s raining and I’m not bothered because my hair is curly today anyway. The strawberries I just bought are a little over-ripe, but it only makes them sweeter. A colleague greeted me in his usual, too-happy-for-so-early, ‘good morning’ and just as I was about to let it irritate me I reminded myself that the world needs more happy people. There are many things that I hope for; many that I often get impatient about and question why I can’t just make it happen. But lately I’ve been prompted to just learn to be content with where I’m at. I read somewhere that “true contentment is wanting what you already have”. You see, when you spend so much of your time striving, you soon discover that you are never getting anywhere because you are never satisfied with your progress, no matter how big or small.
The search for perfection is never-ending because we live in such an imperfect world. I was shocked and utterly disappointed with humanity this week when I heard that countries are burning food due to universal laws stipulated by supply and demand (old news, I know). Someone dies of starvation every 2.43 seconds, 85% of which are children. That’s 30,273 children starving to death every day and countries are destroying food to ‘keep trade fair’. You tell me how we justify that to ourselves? We don’t. You see, we sit in our nice homes, go to our comfortable jobs, eat our tasty food and complain when our vegetables are cold and we don’t have to justify anything because we simply ignore it. And we continue to search for more and the very sad reality is that we are never going to find it. I’ll be the first to put up my hand and say that I don’t like to think about children dying in Africa because it breaks my heart and urges me to try and do something. And this is where discontentment comes in because I will never fix the problem. But, if I could just accept that my small contribution is adequate, then maybe I will find myself being equipped to do more. If I can’t be happy with where I’m at now, I never will be. Harsh, but true.
This isn’t a post about saving the world from poverty - that was merely a digression. It’s about learning to be enough.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home