Monday, July 10, 2006

ZZzzzzzzidane*

My thoughts on last night’s Football Word Cup final:
yawn Sorry, even writing about it seems too dull to hold my attention. yawn
Dom’s suggestion that football, at its fundamental core, is essentially a few guys chasing a little ball around a field, confirmed my sentiments. If not for the company I was in and Rory’s odd, likeminded remark as to the tediousness of the ball merely going back and forth on the screen, I may have slept through the full excruciating 2.5 hrs. But a football match is only 90 min, you might say. Not this one! 45 min a side (+ time added for the cry-babies who fall and hurt their pinky-fingers) and an extra ½ hr because no-one had the courtesy to score an extra goal for their team thus letting us get to bed at a reasonable hour. After that time still no more goals for either side had been scored so we got to enjoy an extra 10 min of penalty shoot outs.
Steve looked just as enthralled as he caught glimpses, through half-open eyes, between dozes and tea rounds.
As Ian tried to lift supporter morale, I entertained myself by throwing snide remarks at players during the final moments of the game. We did enjoy playing a bit of ‘footballer movie star look-alike’ which distracted me momentarily.
My conclusion: Football is boring (knew that anyway), Zidane deserves front page coverage for that classic head-butt and all the shame that ensues as a result, good for Italy and I’m secretly glad I watched.
Bring on rugby season, I say.

*title co-thought up by Ian Fox ©

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home