Tuesday, July 25, 2006

old school nature

I got an email from a girl, today, that I haven’t seen in 11 years. The thing about London is that once you have lived here for a few months, the novelty of bumping into/meeting up with/contacting people from back home really wears off and I even find myself recognizing someone these days and walking on by. It sounds harsh but you wouldn’t stop at home and half of South Africa is here anyway, so why do it now?
Anyway, this girl now wants to meet up for a drink and is asking me about others who are here etc. and whereas the better part of my nature says that I should just reach out and she is probably lonely the other side sighs heavily and rolls its eyes and thinks, “Fresh meat – she still thinks this is a rarity. She’ll learn.”
I don’t even think we liked each other back in junior school. Could we possibly have changed that much over the years that we would get along now? I’m not convinced but then maybe London has just hardened me more than I should have let it. Perhaps the key to retrieving my heart is in reaching out to those who are new and frightened and imparting some big-city knowledge to save them from learning the hard way.
In retrospect, yes, I have changed that much. However, this time my heart proved bigger than my cynical side and I did reach out. London is tough but it just means that sometimes you have to fight back harder.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

MAYBE..... she isnt someone you knew, just someone who is preteding to be soemone who knew you and you're gonna meet up for a drink then two weeks later you're gonna find yourself in the middle of single-white-female-esque situation, your identity stolen, bank account wiped, hair all frizzy and you running around london, flaily arms in the air screamin "I am foxy roxstar, I AM!!"

OR.... I am just cynical about meeting ranndom people from your past that if the opportunity arose you would walk right on by.

OR.... Maybe I am scared cause one day you might just walk straight past me.....

1:15 AM  
Blogger foxy_roxtar said...

NEVER!! Never ever, ever, EVER!

5:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home