Monday, June 19, 2006

h2o dampener

While in Edinburgh, we speculated as to where we would find the most expensive bottle of water during our trip. Prices seemed to escalate as we went between attractions and I think Edinburgh Castle finally took the prize at £2 a bottle.
Alas, I was to be shocked further this weekend while trying to recuperate from a long day in a swanky type bar in South Kensington. As we sat down I, nonchalantly, ordered a water, having that niggling feeling that I’d spent enough money for one day and in fact didn’t actually need to consume anything further, however, feeling too bad to just take up couch space and not order something. Turns out they’re onto suckers like me. I nearly choked on my own spit when Bron pointed out that I had just ordered a £3.50 bottle of water. For my South African readers, that’s R40! It’s ludicrous! How do they justify that? Oh, WAIT! It was from Norway, THAT’S why. Silly, silly me. I’m sure it flows in the picturesque valleys of the Norwegian countryside and some yodeling native fills each bottle by cupping water in their hands. Even more excruciating was that no matter how hard I tried to savour it, that water flowed straight through me in less than 30 minutes.
What made me madder was that a bottle of Coke that arrived in all it’s World Cup collectors edition glory, cost less than something I could have taken from the tap myself – for free!
Blinking London and its pretentious bars. Hear me out. I’m not tight. I just feel to share when an injustice has been done.
Australia lost, so it didn’t take long before the smile was back on my face. Sorry my Aussie mates, but I’m just bitter about Australian sport. You guys win everything, so its just a welcome relief when someone else gets a chance for a change.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home