Thursday, April 20, 2006

renewed hope

If only life were one long holiday. I’d be permanently as well adjusted as I felt over my 10 day break. But alas, life in the rat-race can only be delayed for so long and then it’s, once again, time to face the reality of life.
Although I wouldn’t proclaim immense joy at being back at my desk, I still feel rested enough not to let the incessant ringing of my phone or email harassers taint my pleasant demeanour.
My 3 day trip to Dublin with Gaux was great fun and as usual we had a good laugh. I can’t say Dublin is the most fascinating city I’ve ever visited but it has a relaxed vibe that suited us fine. Proudly, we didn’t succumb to the pressure of visiting the Guinness brewery and instead opted for a half pint in the ever-popular Temple Bar, complete with screaming football fans enthralled by Arsenal vs. Man U (I’ve been here over a year and I’m no closer to appreciating football anymore than being eaten alive by a pack of wild dogs). I hadn’t seen Wayne in over 3 years and it was as great to reminisce as it was to catch-up, as both our lives have been so full over the last few years.
A couple of resentful days back in London and then 6 of us piled into a car that would comfortably accommodate 5 pax and their luggage for a 4 day trip. When it came to deciding who would occupy the 30X30cm back-seat I cursed not having consumed more Jungle Oats as a youngster and settled into my dog-box for the 5 hour journey to Devon. Bron’s navigating was spot-on and she stayed focused even when she could have been swayed by signs indicating Inner Hope or Outer Hope (it was very amusing at the time). Our holiday was just the escape I needed and to say I was ecstatic when I discovered no mobile signal whatsoever does not do justice to how happy I really was. As the days passed by in a blur of sleep (or attempted sleep on my part), walks along the picturesque coast, ball and board games and camaraderie, I could feel the heavy weight of London life slowly lift off my shoulders. By the time we were due to leave, I had rediscovered the girl beneath the pressures and expectation of life and I realised how much I miss having her around. It seems Hope Cove stirred something inside of me that I had forgotten; that there is more to life than how much you can cram into one day.
But now I’m back home in this city that I love to hate and although I’d rather be holidaying, there are some things that make it all worth it. I’m blessed with a number and I reckon that’s enough hope to get me through.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home