Tuesday, March 07, 2006

splashing out

On finding, not just my spirits but my body frequently dampened by London weather over the last few weeks, I deemed it necessary to purchase a new umbrella. Having left this task too late I was forced, dripping, into Boots which is directly opposite the bus-stop. After an awkward incident yesterday involving a few extravagant purchases and no debit card, I had some unfinished business in-store and was pleased to see a stand overflowing with umbrellas in one corner.
On principle, I do not spend more than £5 on an umbrella as I have a tendency to either lose or break them. On policy, Boots does not charge less than £10 for one.
An obvious dilemma ensued as I weighed up getting drenched once more against forking out. I figured that my umbrella really is ‘frequently used’ equipment and as a result decided to spend the little bit extra on quality goods.
After browsing the selection I picked out a little black beauty labeled ‘Mini flat steel’. This thing is like the Mercedes of umbrellas. It is so sleek that it would fit into the smallest of handbags and when tilted its black parasols give the hint of a classy shimmer. With one flick it opens up, ready to defend against the harshest of conditions. I checked its mechanisms and it would take a lot to interfere with those babies; no chance of this one collapsing on my head.
I exited the shop, bag in one hand, umbrella in the other, feeling as though I had stepped up a notch in living the London life. It’s funny the things you begin to prioritise when you find your feet and start to settle. I had to leave the bubble bath and lip gloss, once again, so I may not be relaxed or pouty but at least I’ll be dry.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home