Thursday, March 30, 2006

eating our way around london #3

That’s it! I’ve worked like a slave this week and now, on this fine Thursday afternoon, I have decided that it is imperative I take a break and free my dormant writer within.
The most prominent thing on my mind right now is fabric (I love my job, really) so this weeks report back on our Friday night dinner is bound to be colourful.
After a blue week all-round I think we were all red-dy for a relaxing evening. Unfortunately, the wait staff at Geales restaurant in Notting Hill seemed to have the same idea and as a result, the service was rather substandard. Although the atmosphere was bright and friendly, we spent a large part of the evening trying to flag down anyone in black. The fish was fresh, as promised, but bland enough to meet typical British standards. Bron and I savoured each piece of mouth-watering calamari but even that didn’t fool us into thinking we had been served a fair portion. The blue and white décor presented a suitable Greek-seafood atmosphere, but that was about as much as it had going for it.
Our ordinary dining experience was soon forgotten once we were seated in the Coronet. This once-West-End-theatre has been converted into a grand, royal-rouge cinema with ample legroom and balcony seating for those who may enjoy the novelty factor. Our movie of choice was Totsi and at the risk of turning this into a film review, I’ll stop at saying it is a combination of artistic brilliance and heartbreaking reality. I left feeling overwhelmingly impacted and Ian left with a wet sleeve (from my tears…just clarifying).
Although the days have been unbearably grey of late, life just gets increasingly colourful.

Closest tube: Notting Hill Gate

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home