Wednesday, February 22, 2006

bleak outlook

Today, I have tried everything to focus my attention on the task at hand but that dark cloud of tedium just won't budge. Or am I confusing that with the cloud that has been hanging over this city that the sun forgot for nearly 5 months? I just can't seem to tell the difference anymore.
Winter, winter go away...
How can you be expected to muster up enough enthusiasm for life when the sun is your main source of energy and you haven't seen it for so incredibly long? You'll have to tolerate me as I have a little pity-party and yes, I'm well aware that it is my own choice to be here. But, come on! You would think that in this modern world we live in, someone would have come up with a solution to make a long English winter less severe?

Right, perhaps it is up to me to bring a bit of light, albeit figurative. So, here are a few things to enjoy about winter:

You get to wear scarves, gloves, coats and hats and look like a snowman
You can snuggle (just pick random people on the street, I'm sure they won't think you're weird)
Fireplaces become functional rather than ornamental
It's really cool when it snows (IF it snows)
You can lie cuddled up and cosy in bed with hot chocolate and a good book or a DVD
You can see how long you can make your umbrella last (okay, maybe that one is just for me)
You can moan incessantly about the cold (just admit it, everyone likes a good grumble now and again - it's therapeutic)

I know I'm clutching at straws, but it's the best I could come up with for now.

Tomorrow's forecast sees the gloom lifting as an attitude of appreciation starts to move in from the south. The rest of the week will be slightly overcast, but as February draws to a close there is the prospect of brighter days to come.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home