Monday, January 30, 2006

sharing the moment

Despite a long and dreary winter, I’m feeling pretty warm on the inside after an entire weekend surrounded by good friends, old and new. I never thought I would fall for this city like I have, but after being a bit of a nomad for the last 5 years, I have established a life in a place that I can call home, where, for now, my heart is happy to reside.
For someone who used to require more ‘me’ time than a Tibetan monk, I have found great value in using my spare time being sociable.
Friday night saw me laughing my way through a spontaneous Chinese take-out evening with Ian, Bron and Steve before Ian took off to Switzerland to battle (or ski) the Alps.
After an infrequent lie-in on Saturday morning I ventured to Wimbledon where I met up with Kirsty and Kirsty, one of whom I haven’t seen in over 5 years. While browsing the shops with them I bumped into Steve and his flat-mate Craig and subsequently betrayed Starbucks by enjoying a chai latte (yum!) in Café Nero, in order to escape the bitter cold. From there I trekked across town to meet Bron, who spent most of the evening convincing me not to spend money I don’t have (too sensible sometimes!). We did enjoy a great meal in Burger Shack off Carnaby Street (I feel a certain fondness towards their salt and pepper shakers) and made plans to see the world whilst in The Source Café hidden down one of the West End’s many back streets.
If that wasn’t enough mixing I agreed to post-church lunch at Nandos with Erica, Greg and a few others and then escaped for some time-out in the Virgin Megastore where I got lost in album after album of rock and jazz to add to my wishlist. An out-of-the blue phone call from Ms Gibbs, V and Peeps and I shared my second Hillsong service of the day with a couple of friends who have been in my life from before I started to form proper memories.
Knowing that my week is full of similar prospects, I got home feeling whole and uplifted, ready to face the probable monotony of the work week ahead.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home