Monday, January 23, 2006

most depressing day of the year

Today has officially been named the Most Depressing Day of the Year in the Northern Hemisphere.
That’s a sure way to uplift the morale of a society that is already suffering the harsh realities of a long, cold winter. Trust the heartless UK media to point out the obvious and send the population into a deeper state of gloom.
The BBC reports, “Foul weather, debt, fading Christmas memories, failed resolutions and a lack of motivation conspire to depress…”
Admittedly, I awoke this morning to another grey sky and settled, unintentionally, into a disposition that is best described as ‘despondent’. My mood then only deteriorated thanks to the melancholic sounds of Coldplay X&Y.
However, when my colleagues mentioned that today had been set aside to allow ourselves to wallow, I immediately resolved to bring sunlight where there hasn’t been any for weeks. Disappointingly, my enthusiastic attempts seem to be wasted on a group of people who, unbelievably, closed the blinds on Friday at the first sign of post-winter rays.
I know it’s not ideal, but seriously, it’s just weather! I too love the sun and miss how it has the ability to warm right through to your soul. Nevertheless, true joy brightens you from the inside out, not vica-versa.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home