Tuesday, January 31, 2006

coffee with sez

While waiting for Sarah in Café Nero yesterday, my cappuccino slowly thawing my icy fingers, I glanced over at a couple of young girls chatting animatedly in the window seats of the coffee shop. The comfort of their interaction suggested that they had been in each others lives for a considerable length of time.
For a split second I saw my own life and the relationships, past and present, I have with my girlfriends. Over the years those interactions have changed and one day, when I’m old, they will most likely be fewer, yet no less important. I looked at those two girls and thought about the generations of girlfriends that will follow and how they are going to impact each others lives. However, no matter how similar the camaraderie may be, they will never be my friends and I; they will never know the uniqueness of our relations and have those same dialogues, sometimes mindless, more often life changing.
I love being female (I’m in that limbo part of life where you’re not quite a girl, not really a lady and not yet a woman, hence the broader term) and all the ups and downs that ensue as a result of such an existence. To the ladies (it’s okay to use it in plural form) that have seen me through the years, thank you for bringing so much colour to my world.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love you.

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home