Friday, January 06, 2006

big sis, lil sis

Tonight, before the excitement of our group adventure to Rome begins, I have to say goodbye to my little sister…again…for, like, the millionth time. I’ve become so accustomed to the ritual of goodbyes that I tend to approach most farewells with a sense of nonchalance. This time it’s different. She’s fast becoming an adult and after 16 years of sibling rivalry she has become one of my closest friends.
Throughout my childhood, any rants regarding my sister and her annoying antics were typically shot down with a reply along the lines of, ‘One day it’ll all change and you’ll be the best of friends.’ HA! What did they know? She was a bothersome little horror that tormented me at every opportunity until I was ready to shake her like a sandy beach towel. I decided that my request for a sister when Mom was pregnant was naïve and proved, undoubtedly, that you need to be careful what you pray for.
But now I stand humbled and have prepared mental apologies to all those that I scorned for suggesting that Desi and I would, one day, be able to communicate in a civilized manner.
It’s unfortunate that now, when we get along so well, we live thousands of miles apart when most of our time together we spent even further apart.
I’m so proud of her for following her heart and becoming a successful jockey and it softens the blow, just a little, to know that she is going back to her dream and a place where she just thrives.
The bright pink “big sis” bracelet that now adorns my arm is a happy reminder that, far away, my “lil sis” is wearing hers with an assurance that distance doesn’t change what a lifetime has matured.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home