Thursday, December 22, 2005

london by night

By day, London is potentially one of the dirtiest and most polluted cities you could encounter. I’ll resist describing the results of blowing your nose after spending a day roaming the city centre.
However, by night, the capital is transformed into a city which boasts proud architecture, faultlessly illuminated and an atmosphere of historic pride. Standing on Hungerford Bridge last night I had a (nowdays) rare “I’m really in London” moment. An unobstructed view of Big Ben, the London Eye, the elegantly mysterious building at Whitehall and the Thames glistening deceivingly below us engulfed me with a sense of appreciation.
I never imagined this town would rub off on me like it has but, unexpectedly, I’m really starting to feel ‘at home’.
There have been similar instances in the past, where a moment has seemed significant for no apparent reason, other than that it caused a rush of emotion strong enough to settle in my memory. This one was considerably different; for once I was able to share it with someone. While the Thames reflected buildings, my personal reflections were ones of contentment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home