Friday, October 14, 2005

putney bum

This week has been manic. I know I harp on about how life can just change in a matter of days but this week was one of those.
As of today I may very well become one of those typical Londoners who live and work in the same suburb and thereafter rarely leave familiar territory, as the thought of getting onto a tube unnecessarily is purely a nuisance. Think Hugh Grant in Notting Hill - did he ever go anywhere else??
I got a call on Monday afternoon from the firm that originally didn't hire me as they 'gave the job to an internal candidate'. The girl they hired instead had let them down so, as expected, they came back with their tail between their legs.
By this stage I had lost all enthusiasm for the new job, but a change is as good as a holiday and goodness knows I could do with one of those. My guilt resulting from giving a measly 2 days notice at my current place of employment didn't last long as I became overwhelmed by the stress of training someone, in 1 day, on what I had learned in 7 months.
So, yesterday I bid farewell to the IDEA (don't ask me what they do because I'm still not sure - and I don't think majority of the employees know either!), my dot-matrix rail ticket printer and an emotional boss who was distraught over the loss of his 'chief tea lady'.
I will admit that my character is somewhat spontaneous and I have resigned myself to the fact that decisions are not my forte. However, there seemed no harm in leaving my job and diving head first into a new one about which I knew very little. Clearly the small bit I knew was insufficient as now I border on not having a job within the next week and getting sacked because the girl from whom I am taking over refuses to train me. The original appeal of having a building in the middle of nowhere, which could greatly assist me in saving pennies, is now tainted by the fact that the canteen food is going to make me fat. I can't even buy a sandwich from Pret-a-Manger because I am likely to die of starvation before I reach the nearest store! Who cares if I can walk to work?? It's winter and my nose is likely to freeze off before I reach the office anyway!
Perhaps I'll put it down to a simple case of first day blues as opposed to blaming my impulsive nature for clouding my judgment.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home