Wednesday, August 17, 2005

the woman in black

Unsurprisingly, the £12.50 theatre tickets I booked for last night positioned us, once more, in the 'nose bleed' seats (note to self: must remember oxygen mask for next show), this time in the Fortune Theatre. The Woman in Black is the second longest running show in the West End and is housed in a theatre which opened it's doors in 1924. It appears it has had little modification since then and when you realise that this show is a thriller of the most chilling kind, you will appreciate that the creaking floors and squeaky chairs only add to the chills.
After a relatively uneventful first half, I was becoming concerned that I had subjected six of my friends to an evening of boredom and futile back-ache ensuing from craning their necks to see the stage.
During interval I sourced some Pringles in the hope that the comfort of junk-food would distract everyone from mentally accusing me of poor judgement in show choice.
But to my delight the horror kicked in during Act 2 and heart rates were doubled as the story unfolded. It must amuse the actors to no end when their performances summon cries of terror from the audience and I'm sure our reactions are representative of nightly audiences; I jumped a foot off my chair, Bronwyn screamed and Harry chuckled.
Above the storyline and sound acting, the attention to minor detail is what really satisfied this brutal critic. Whether it is due to it's extensive run affording the production team time to focus on minor details or thanks to the solid cast of two, all I was left to reflect on was the wasted face and haunting shadow of the woman in black.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

What Rox failed to mention was that the reason I screamed was theat she got a huge fright and lept out her chair causing to react slightly.

I have do however have a confesion to make which I kept quiet about last night. The whole way through the performance I kept thinking the woman in black was standing behind me and I had to keep turning around to reassure myself that she was not there!!!!!

5:56 AM  
Blogger foxy_roxtar said...

woes :-)

6:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home