Friday, August 19, 2005

parlez-vous français?

I was slightly disorientated yesterday while dashing through Holborn station. For a moment I had to familiarise myself with my surroundings as an announcement was made to the thousands of commuters.....in French.
My first thought was that I had alighted at the wrong station and was, in fact, bound for the Euro-tunnel and would be forced to take an involuntary holiday to the South of France. I was soon shaken from my reverie as I got bashed from all sides and found myself on my usual platform with the same familiar adverts adorning the walls.
What baffled me was, not only did they make an announcement in a foreign language but, they made it before saying the same thing in English. What if this is the start of something? Perhaps the plan is to eventually make announcements in all the most widely spoken languages from around the world. If, in that case, English is preceded by the others, the majority of commuters would need to delay their journey just so that they didn't miss important information! There is the chance that they have started gearing up for the 2012 Olympic games. If the latter is true, hat-off to London for being prepared.....or perhaps over eager. I think I need to start learning French.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home