Thursday, August 25, 2005

london - my own world

It was inevitable. After Friday's incident, about which I will enlighten you in a moment, there is no denying that I have begun to transform into an aloof, almost frosty, creature otherwise known as a Londoner.
A typical London Underground scene: Passenger gets onto tube. Passenger finds seat or place to stand. Passenger takes out book and begins to read or puts headphones into ears and pretends that no one else on the tube exists.

After work on Friday I rushed to the station and hopped onto the tube and found a seat against the glass panel (best seat cause smelly people can only sit on one side of you!). Compliant with tube practice I got lost in my book, oblivious to anything and anyone around me.
At one point a girl got onto the tube with an oversized bag and dumped in next to my seat, disturbing my concentration and appealing to my more forthcoming nature which considered offering up my seat so that she could watch her bag. Then I remembered that I am a Londoner and we just don't do that sort of thing, darling. She sat next to me instead.
Once out from underground and the symphony of mobiles began to resound throughout the carriage, mine joined the party and Mom's faced flashed up on my screen. During our brief conversation I mentioned that Bronwyn was meeting me at home and as the words were out of my mouth, someone was poking my arm and calling my name. I abruptly turned to see the face of the girl next to me and to my surprise it belonged to Bronwyn.
Bron had been sitting beside me for twenty minutes and neither of us had realised until she heard my voice. Twenty minutes...and if I had bothered to look up properly when she threw her bag down I would have recognised her and not been subjected to my less-than-thrilling novel. The people sitting opposite us couldn't ignore our hysterical laughter and, as an exception to the commuter 'rules', joined us in our amusement. Even more ironic is that it was the 2nd time that week she had gotten onto the same carriage as me, which is a rarity when you consider the number of tubes running at any one time of the day. This time it was purposeful, however, because she had hoped to find me and there I was, right beside her the whole time!
Just goes to show that, sometimes, what you are looking for......wait, no clichès allowed, but you know where I'm going with it...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home