Thursday, August 18, 2005

house-hunting

That phrase is a bit weird, isn't it: house-hunting? I get mental pictures of a man in a safari suite and a rifle braving the terrors of the wild to find a nice cottage with bay windows and then ploughing bullets into it and declaring, 'I got one!!'
Anyway, oddities aside, I am overjoyed at finally finding an apartment in Putney, after 2 months of dutifully sifting through the multitude of flatshares on gumtree.
Unavoidably, I have ended up in a flat with three other South African girls, but you would have a hard time trying to find a home in London that doesn’t house a Safa, Kiwi or Aussie.
As sad as it is to ‘fly the nest’, there comes a time in every female’s life when the need for independence overshadows the appeal of Mom’s tasty cooked dinners and nice clean bed-linen.
It’s never easy to say goodbye, especially not when you do it as much as I do and it’s even harder conveying such news to those you know it will dismay. Perhaps the fact that I’m not moving very far will be consolation for Mom as the significance of her daughter packing her bags once again weighs down on her spirit.
Ofcourse, the responsibility of rent and bills is once again upon me and for this reason I am especially grateful for having the last six months to make friends who can feed me when I'm skint - phew!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home