Monday, August 08, 2005

high life not wildlife

I know I committed to relaying my weekend camping stories in a previous blog, but instead of telling you all about my trauma of sleeping on stones, almost drowning during the night thanks to a leaking tent, brushing death by hypothermia and surviving three days on camp food, I am opting to speak only of the positives!
There is something about escaping the buzz of the city that makes people become slightly more genuine. I love meeting new people, but even more than that, I love getting to know my friends and acquaintances better.
What made the suffering of camping worth it? I got to see stars. Granted, there were only about 3 and even then they kept disappearing behind clouds, but hey, am trying to appreciate the small things.
The highlight of our trip had to be right at the end when we were standing at the station, about 80 teens and young adults, and our train pulled up on the opposite platform. I have never experienced anything like it! There was silence as realisation descended upon us and then everyone started flailing their arms and yelling at the train driver as we stampeded down the stairs towards the correct platform. What bozo puts a sign saying 'to London' on the wrong platform anyway?? Thank the Lord, a large group of screaming lunatics is hard to ignore and the driver was alerted and delayed the train for us. This, I can assure you, would never happen in London.
Although the weekend was inspiring, it will not be an easy task to convince me to go camping anytime soon again. As much as I love the whole idea of being one with nature, I can get the same feeling from a Radox aromatherapy bubble bath and satin sheets in a 5* hotel.
Oh go on, call me precious if you must! Sticks and stones may break my bones (and I know this first hand) but I'm willing to deal with your words if it means I never have to camp again!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rox...you gonna be out there again before you know it....lol
No other holiday experience produces as many good and funny memories as camping...
Camp fires.....singing crap songs....eating crap food....aaahhhhh I miss it already

9:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home